Saturday, January 11, 2014

At Last!




The storm of the century made me stay home for a couple of weeks, but last night we were so happy to be back at our favorite restaurant for dinner.

I have posted in the past about wearing black and how it isn't always flattering for everyone. If you are like me and have invested in an abundance of black in the past, there are ways to make it work for you. Here I've added a bright aqua scarf and gemstone ring in the same color as accessories.



All of the pieces of this outfit are a couple of years old. The boiled wool jacket is about ten years old! I love that it has black embroidered details on the collar. The cuffs can be turned up, and it has one decorative button closure, so I wore it with a long sleeve black tee from Chico's. The black knit pants were a find at Ross a couple of years ago. They are by Tahari.



The scarf is a very soft gauze in color I know works well for me. The shoes are low heeled with tiny gold-trimmed bow detail. The bag is Kenneth Cole Reaction from T.J.Maxx. 

My wardrobe is made up of pieces I like to wear and that I feel comfortable in. I am motivated to buy new pieces if I believe they can be worn for several years with many other pieces in my closet. Classics changed with accessories has been my secret to dressing well for many years.

About three years ago, I lost more than forty-five pounds, so I had to give up almost all of my wardrobe. As I replaced those items, I once again looked for classics that could be worn in many combinations and several seasons.

8 comments:

Canuck-Girl said...

Great to see you are feeling better, looking great and life is back to normal!

Anonymous said...

You mention that the boiled jacked it 10 years old...after weight loss did you alter the pieces you are still using?

Susan said...

I have altered some of my other boiled wool jackets but not this one.

Donna Hull said...

Love the scarf. It's the perfect touch for your black outfit.

Anonymous said...

So glad to see how you are transitioning from black. I have pretty much the same coloring as you, having let my hair go gray last year at the age of 52. My hair was previously a light golden blond and I wore lots of items in the brown, camel, tan range. My hair is white and those colors are not suitable at all! I went overboard on the black, having no black at all previously and excited that I could finally wear it.. Now I am finding that softer colors like heather gray and blues are best. Like you, I also lost weight and have been on a journey with all this transition. So happy I found you to help me on the way!

Anonymous said...

You look divine!

Donna said...

Love the scarf! So glad you are over your cold. You look great!

Shelley Zurek -- Still Blonde after all these YEARS said...

How beautiful are you! I don't think I have every paired all black with a bring turquoise like that. But I am going to now!