Saturday, August 29, 2015

Choosing Accessories Tips

How do you decide which accessories to wear with your look?




My method of getting dressed follows. I often wear white pants and a white tank in summer because it is the coolest base color to wear. Next, I decide which shoes look best with the pants I am wearing, keeping in mind where we are going and how much I will be walking. I often wear heels if we are going out to dinner or to some event that involves mostly sitting. I do enjoy my heels, but I don't normally wear them for a full day of shopping, for example. 

Next, I decide which jacket I will wear. This light-weight Travelers jacket from Chico's is a couple of years old. It has strong Asian inspired details such as a Mandarin collar and bamboo-shaped buttons. Even the fabric makes me think of a beautiful hand-painted silk kimono. These details led me to this Asian inspired silver and black tassel necklace, which is also old from Chico's. Because this necklace is such a bold statement piece, I wore smaller silver and crystal hoop earrings and two silver and crystal rings only.

Wearing too many accessories can take us in the wrong direction. Simple, understated items with one or two bold dramatic pieces can pull your look together and show your personality.

The jacket colors include black, white, silver, gold, and taupe, so I chose this evening clutch via Saks Off 5th, black and gold hardware with a burnished gold/taupe color body. I always carry a small clutch to dinner as opposed to a bulky daytime bag.

The nude sandals are old from Belk. The color continues the unbroken line of white/pale tones from head to toe, making me look taller and leaner. For example, if I had worn a pair of black platform shoes, they would have been too bulky in scale for the delicate jacket and pants. The black shoes would also have visually cut me off at the ankles, making me look shorter.
  


The fabulous slim-fitting smooth front pants are by Mesmerize from My Fair Lady.

No comments: