Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Layer Like a Boss

Multiple thin layers keep me warm without running the risk of looking like the Michelin Man.


On a recent Saturday, we visited old downtown to see some of the new projects. An exciting renaissance has begun in Johnson City!



From November to April, I am usually wearing a minimum of two layers. I started this look with a thin gray tank camisole from Saks Off 5th. Next, I added a great looking striped button front tunic from J.Jill. The cashmere scarf/wrap is old from J.Jill. 




I bought the distressed faux leather jacket from my friend Myra's boutique, The Charlemont in Kingsport, TN. The ankle jeans are from Chico's. The bag is by Zac Posen, and the boots are by French Connection, both via Saks Off 5th.




I once avoided wearing longer layers under shorter pieces, but I learned that if I use a soft, unstructured longer piece under a more structured shorter piece, it always seems to work out well.



Each time I go to the J.Jill website, I find it difficult to narrow my selections to stay within my budget. I want them all!

I decided on this top because I know I can also wear it in warm weather without a tank, white jeans and sandals.

Shown below without the outer layers.


12 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Love the whole look with the jacket and tunic. Down in Texas we are all about layering...start the day cool and end it in the 80s. You look lovely, Susan.

RK said...

Love the look, especially the jacket. I can't find it currently in the store you mention online. Could you share the brand?

RK said...

Love this look! Your layering guideline is a good one. Could you share the jacket brand? I looked for it in the store that you mentioned (their online site)but couldn't find it and would like to do a larger search.

Susan said...

The jacket brand is Blu Pepper.

boyzmom said...

Love your style. I turn 50 this weekend and am searching for my true style. Your posts are helping me focus on "my look" and not just the latest trend. Thanks!!

Dawn said...

Susan, you always look so sharp.

You wouldn't like it up here in New England in the winter. Here is how I usually layer: tank top, long-sleeved t-shirt/turtleneck, cashmere pullover, and if I'm still cold, a cardigan or quilted vest. Outerwear would be either a puffer coat or a wool coat with Thinsulate lining. No cute moto jackets till April probably.

I need to move somewhere with warmer winters. :-)

Prairie Poulet said...

You did it again, Susan. Thank you for explaining why this works. I, too, have learned about thin layers. The Michelin Man is cute, but I don't want to be him!

Katherines Corner said...

You always look fab! I enjoy my visits to your lovely blog. I invite you to share at the Thursday Linky party ( you can link up now-Sat midnight) Hugs!

Andrea said...

Multiple thin layers can be so flattering! You look fabulous as always!

Anonymous said...

Love those layers and the colors. Glad your downtown is getting a remake. ~~Dee

Anonymous said...

I'm new to reading your blog, but already have been learning so much from you. When I saw this top on you from J.Jill ... I had to have it. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I immediately purchased it at their online site. I haven't received it yet, but it is so cute and good for my apple shape. I'm sure it's going to be something I wear a lot. Thank you for taking the time to write your blog. I've been transitioning for the last 10 years into our second half of life and just don't know what to wear anymore. You are really helping me to make sense of our age and how to go forward with a new look. I've been throwing away all those printed tops that I used to look good in but they look horrible on me now. Keep up the good work, Susan.

With much appreciation,
Barbara

WellnessWithWorkouts said...

I loved the post today! I especially like the way you wear the scarf with one side longer than the other. I would have never thought to do it that way on my own, but it works well! Thanks for posting!