Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Formal Evening

Short, skimpy cocktail dresses and plunging backless gowns are never my choices for evening attire.


 "Elegance knows when to cover up." 
-Susan Street 2016

At almost sixty years old, bare knees and cleavage are never the aging bits I wish to reveal to the world. Candlelight does not improve the view! Trust me on this one.

We attended the 23rd Annual Laureate Induction Celebration of the Junior Achievement Tri-Cities TN/VA Business Hall of Fame held at the Meadowview Convention Center last evening.



Earlier in the day, I visited my dear friend Myra who is also my hairstylist. She gave me a shorter layered look for Spring.


We picked up our closest friends Bob and Mitzi so that we could enjoy the evening together. Mitzi and I did not plan to dress almost alike!


I am wearing a swing coat* by IC Collection over a tank by Clara Sunwoo; both are from last year. I purchased them from ShopMyFairLady. The dressy pants are a couple of years old from Chico's. The suede fringe trim sandals are by BCBGeneration via Saks Off 5th.  The ribbon trimmed black clutch is several years old from T.J.Maxx.

(*Swing coats are fitted in the shoulders and then flare out from the bust line, creating a tent-like shape over the torso that swings as you walk. The hem of your swing coat can end anywhere from the waist down, and the sleeves may be full length or bracelet length.)







Here is a short video showing my warm-weather haircut.




10 comments:

Unknown said...

You look lovely as usual! I was hoping to see that Lisa Rinna haircut on you, I know you could rock it.

Jan Maier said...

LOVE the back of that haircut...perfect for your natural waves.

Unknown said...

Lovely...and great hair!

Missy said...

I love the collar of the jacket and it frames your new hairdo perfectly. You are one of the few women that look good with short or longer hair.

Prairie Poulet said...

"Elegance knows when to cover up." -Susan Street 2016

This is a great motto.

Thank you do much for the formal look, Susan.this is the new way of going formal in the 21st century, IMO. Ballgowns are for state dinners, and since most of us never go to one, "formal" needs to be redefined. Why spend a fortune on a dress that's worn once? This look is very elegant, and more true to modern times. It also addresses those 50+ concerns you mention. Smart accessories take this to the next level.

I will be attending a formal event soon (nerves frayed), and it won't be in a ball gown. Thanks to you, Susan, I stopped fretting and chose an outfit that's true to me and modern times. It involves gold slingback shoes. Shoes are a girl's best friend!

JustMeCec said...

Susan I really like your hair style, it suits you especially at the back. Your hair is like mine naturally curly & I find it helps with all the summer humidity to keep those curls in tac. You both look gorgeous for your evening out as always!!!

Suzee said...

Darling as usual. You just always look so chic.

lrlincks said...

Love the outfit and the new cut! I prefer pants for all occasions too. Sometimes a maxi dress, but coverage is my friend as I approach 60! LOL!

Lisa Princeton Real Estate said...

I love your new hairstyle. My stylist just added some chunky highlights and lots of long layers in the back and I'm feeling very springy as well!

belles53 said...

Love the formal wear you chose. I am glad I am no longer the age for the "little black dress" and that I enjoy outfits like yours. And your hair....fabulous! Keep it this way.