Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Proportion is Key

You may notice that I dress in a lot of neutral solids.


Owning lots of patterns or prints limits the possible combinations. Solids are also more pleasing to my eyes and less memorable. 

When I add new pieces to my collection, they must be ones I can wear with the items I already have. Owning a wardrobe of components that work together makes my life so much easier. I am all about ease and comfort!

That only leaves me with the task of matching up the correct proportions. For example, long straight-leg jeans might require a more cropped, close-fitting jacket or top.


When the summer heat settles in, I switch to layers of sheer fabrics that flow across my body but add no volume or weight. The linen blend J.Jill cardigan I am wearing here is almost light, but it gives coverage and balance to my look.

I experienced 100% humidity at 100 degrees last week while in Memphis. I saw women of all ages in sundresses and sandals. Dresses are not my favorite thing, so I had no hesitation in slipping into a loose-fitting tank top, white slacks, and strappy sandals when I had to go out during the day. I dress for the weather, the event and then add the accessories that express my mood.

Cropped, close-fitting jeans can be worn with a loose flowing, more extended top. I pair shoes according to the cut of the pant leg. I always wear a higher heel with cropped style or ankle pants because they make my already short legs seem shorter. I usually wear flats with long straight-leg jeans that stop at the top of the foot.

If you are petite (5' 4" or less), you may find that longer tops are never a good look for you. Tops that end at your fingertips are usually as long as you would ever want to go.



We joined friends after work for drinks, so I wore this look. These jeans are a couple of years old by NYDJ. The layered V-neck tank is from White House Black Market. The bag is old by BCBG via T.J.Maxx. Finally, the shoes are by Sam Edelman from Dillard's.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy your tips and especially how well you know yourself and what looks good on you! It inspires me to keep finding the proportions that work on me. Happy summer, Susan!

Prairie Poulet said...

I'm with you, Susan, on covering up in the sun. Very light layers are actually cooler for me, because I don't have the heat of the sun on my skin. I also don't like the feeling of sticky skin, part of the territory when we're in sunblock season. There seem to be more and more gauzy summer tops to choose from this year, so it's easier to make this happen. I save sleeveless tops for evening.

Unknown said...

This is a great casual look! Those French Kande necklaces just make everything look classy, a bit unique and very up-to-date (or at least I hope so, because I'm wearing one right now!). I'd also be interested in seeing a post from you about something I saw in one of your older posts - the idea of dressing in thirds. Enjoy the rest of your week, Susan!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for mentioning that petite women look better in finger tip length tops! I am 5'3" and have tried desperately to wear the longer tops that are so stylish, flowing and flattering,and that you model so beautifully, but I thought I looked swamped in fabric and very short legged. I feared I was just too stuck in my normal styles (shorter, fitted tops) to appreciate the new longer look and I kept trying to make the longer tops work. Your comment has freed me from the fruitless pursuit of a long top that flatters my 5'3" frame. Thank you for the effort you put in your blog!
I love it.